Interesting Facts about Texas- True Facts Making Texas Popular
Texas is a city in Galveston County in the US of Texas. Texas is a busy deep water port. It has petroleum refining and petrochemical manufacturing center. Above all the city is noted for a major explosion in the year 1947 that demolished the port and nearly destroyed the city, which was the most disastrous incident that occurred.
There are many interesting facts about Texas which is cited below:
- Texas is the second most populated state in United States and also the second biggest state in U.S. the population density was about 96.3 per square mile in the year 2010.
- Texas is larger than many other nations of the world. Suppose it would have been a nation then it would have been the 40th largest country in the world.
- Stealing cattle is a serious offense in Texas and it also not legal to indecently expose or swear in front of a corpse in Texas.
- It is illegal to let loose the camels on the beach.
- 70% of the populations of Texas have settled within 200 miles of Austin.
- Texas is proud of having the three most popular cities in US namely Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.
- The least populated county in Texas is Loving County with 83 residents only.
- Texas most popular county is Harris County in the southeast part of Texas with 4.1 million residents.
- As per the area wise the largest county in Texas is Brewstar with 6,208 square miles.
- Texas covers about 7.4% of the nation’s total area.
- There are many airports in Texas as compared to other states in the country. The DFW International airport has the world’s largest parking lot. The Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport has the third largest runway in the world.
- Texas is not a city of homicide – the city of slaughter.
- Houston is the largest city in Texas which is also largest in the United States.
- The nick name of Texas is Lone Star State which reminds of its struggle for independence from Mexico and also represents Texas as an independent republic.
- Texas is the largest producer of greenhouse gases and stands as the 7th largest producer in the world and the largest producer in the United States.
- The most tornadoes are experienced in Texas approximately 139 in a year. It very often occurs in North Texas and Panhandle.
- The worst fact about Texas was the deadliest natural disaster in the year 1900 which killed almost 12000 people.
- The snack food of Texas is Frito Pie. It is a bag of Fritos combined with chilies, onion cheese that can be eaten straight from the bag. Then they have peanuts in Dr.Pepper, beef jerky, jalapenos and corn dogs.
- The most popular Neil Armstrong called Houston, who went to the moon and spoke the first word “Houston” on moon, in the year 1969 was from Texas.
- Texas Flag is called “Lone Star Flag” having three colors namely red, white and blue. The red color indicates courage, white color for liberty and the blue color indicates loyalty. This flag was adopted when Texas was named as a State in the year 1845.
- The large star was first used on Texas flag in the year 1830 during the war between Texas and Mexico.
- Texas has the second tallest state capitol building, after Louisiana.
- Stephan Fuller Austin is known as the “Father of Texas”.
- Amarillo hosts the world’s largest calf fry cook-off every year.
- The most important fact about the $ 60 million treasure of gold is believed to be buried on an 80 acre pasture field at Sems Ranche in Texas.
- Texas is the largest petrol producing state in United States. Only 34 out of 254 counties in Texas do not possess or produce natural gas within their boundaries.
- The Texas born Dwight D Eisenhower became the first president of United State in the year 1953.
- Corn was the stale food in Texas.
- Texas has the first domed stadium in the country which opened in 1965 in Houston, named as Astrodome.
- The Houston Comets are the only team in the country to win WNBA Championship four times back-to-back from 1997 to 2000.
- Caddo is the only natural lake in Texas.
- Texas is proud of having the nation’s largest herd of whitetail deer.
- Texas produces the maximum wool in the whole of United Nation.
There are still many more interesting fact of Texas which can be read on their website.